Book Club Discussion Questions for King of the Class
- Why do you think this book is set in the future? What was the author trying to achieve by doing so?
- Do you think there are good and bad characters in this book? If so, is Eve good or bad? What about her husband Manny?
- Do you think Eve has a good relationship with her sister? What was your opinion of their relationship once Eve's son is kidnapped?
- Some readers have suggested that Eve should divorce Manny and marry Elyakim. What do you think?
- What will be the effects of a kidnapping on such a young boy? What should his parents do to mitigate those effects?
- Do you think it is possible that Israel could really have a civil war and divide into two states? What about your own country? At what point can a nation no longer be called one nation? Is it better to split up or to compromise once if your values are very different?
- Did this book change your perceptions about the Middle East? Would you call it an educational book? Do you think novels should be educational?
- What do you think of the title King of the Class? Does it adequately reflect the novel? To what does the word 'king' allude? Would you have chosen another title?
- Eve is the storyteller in this novel. How would the story have been different if her husband was the narrator?
- Eve and Manny, their relationship and their hardships are a microcosm of what is going on in the society around them. Was that theme strong enough in this book? Were other themes stronger? Which ones?